Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Humble Verses Proud

“My soul shall make her boast in the Lord; the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad.”

Usually, when I boast, I’m trying to exude my own praises and elevate my own goodness. I tell others about what I’ve accomplished, or how amazing I am. And when I boast, causing others to be impressed with me, it makes me glad. Especially when I hear someone else praising me.

Now the humble……………….I’ve usually thought of humility as not boasting about yourself, also not thinking poorly about yourself. It’s just plain not thinking about me at all, and that’s the end. But God is saying that this goes on. It does not end there! Not thinking about yourself is only where it begins. To complete this, our humbleness boasts in the Lord. What I said about boasting earlier is what we need to do for God. We tell people about what He’s accomplished, how amazing He is, we exude His praises, and when we hear others saying nice things about God, it should gladden our hearts.

The most important thing to remember is that it’s not about me or my humility, but about God, and glorifying Him.

1 comment:

Adventurous Duo said...

How very true. This is one of the reasons I think corporate worship is so amazing. We are literally focusing on how great and awesome God is and proclaiming it to everyone around. Our own greatness (or lack thereof) is far from our minds at this point. It is truly one of the most amazing experiences I know of.