Saturday, October 4, 2008

Knocking Filling and Opening

I read two verses yesterday that seemed very similar to me. The first is Psalm 81:10, which says, “Open your mouth wide and I will fill it,” and the second is a very familiar verse, Matthew 7:7. “Ask and it shall be given to you, seek and you shall find, knock and the door shall be opened unto you.” These are both beautiful promises, and I have seen several times in the past where God has fulfilled them.

Some of our family’s friends, the Lucases, were missionaries in Mexico for several years. One day, they felt like God wanted them to invite 2 families over for dinner. But they had practically no food in the house, certainly not enough to feed all the people that were there! So Jim prayed. Pretty soon there was a knock on the door. One of their neighbors had brought them a watermelon! After they cut that up, and while everyone was eating it, somebody else knocked on the door and said, “We felt like we should give you this bread and this soup.” God rewarded them for their trust in Him, and provided for the need they had!

A while ago, I was going to babysit some kids, but I was pretty stressed that morning before I went, because I always had a hard time babysitting these kids. They never liked any of my ideas for things to do, and I didn’t want to go babysit a bunch of bored kids all day. So I prayed about it, asking God to help me and giving my day to Him, and I ended up being able to think of some ideas that the kids really liked, and we had a lot of fun that day. I think God gave me those ideas.

In both these instances, God’s promise was fulfilled. With Jim Lucas, he opened his mouth wide, and God filled it. With me, I knocked, and the door was opened. But if a baby doesn’t open its mouth, how can someone put food in it? If a person doesn’t knock on the door, can it be opened to them? If nobody asks for anything, they won’t get anything, and they don’t look for anything they won’t find anything. Hence, I think these two verses are saying something a little more to us, than just the fact that God promises these things to us. We need to not just skip over the beginning of those verses. Knock… ask… seek….

So what are some ways we can ‘open our mouths’ or ‘knock on the door’? Well, Mr. Lucus had to ask God to fill his need, and I had to give my day over to Him and ask for help. There are lots of other things too. If you want God to give you wisdom for a situation, read Bible verses about wisdom, or stories about wise people in the Bible.

These are just some things to think about if you have a problem or need or anything like that. Imagine God saying to you, “Open your mouth and I will fill it. Seek and you will find. Knock and I will open the door for you.”

1 comment:

Maggie said...

You're right on. I so often forget to ask for things. How silly! I know better, too, because when I DO ask for things, God gives "more abundantly than I could ask or think." Not to mention my faith is boosted and deepened and my eyes tear up from the realization of how much my Lord loves me and cares for my needs.
Thanks for the encouragement.